how to read a pcp layout to apply to a stripboard

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
mattbsh
Information

Post by mattbsh »

firstly sorry for wasting your time with this dumb question but I'm building my first pedal and have no knowledge of building pedals
but i been researching nonstop for past couple days and have most of the parts ordered from the partlist
a custom tonebender mk2 and i'm not sure how to read the layout to apply to a stripboard
would the holes shown be the oned used on the strip board and the holes not shown just not be used?
and I can use any germanium transistors as long as there npn >?
because I ordered a npn set on smallbearelec
sorry for the confusing question
any help is greatly appreciated
this is the lay out
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mkII/mi ... layout.gif

thanks for your time,

Matt
Attachments
mindbenderlayout.gif

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

This VERO layout will work for any NPN transistors that are CBE. It uses two trimmers, one on Q2 and one on Q3. If you do not want to use the trimmers just sub a resistor in place of a trimmer.
Attachments
Pimpbender2trimVero.png
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... ender+MKII

You should check out this thread on the MKII. It has all the information you need to build one of these pedals and then some.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Hi Matt,

The pcb layout cannot be transferred directly to stripboard. If you look at where the tracks go on the pcb, they do not all go in straight, parallel lines.

Forget the pcb layout, and use the info from bato001.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Good luck :thumbsup
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Lucifer wrote:Hi Matt,

The pcb layout cannot be transferred directly to stripboard. If you look at where the tracks go on the pcb, they do not all go in straight, parallel lines.

Forget the pcb layout, and use the info from bato001.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Good luck :thumbsup
Thanks Lucifer, I should have included this info in my post!!!

Matt, when you layout a circuit on Strip Board (aka Vero) you should use the schematic, not a PCB layout. The tone bender layout for strip board looks very similar to the actual schematic. I think my vero layout uses the standard tonebender values for all components. If you need help with the off board wiring, which is not included in my layout just post here and someone will help you. As Lucifer said, keep us posted on your progress.