Help Reading certain schematics

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
spartanKH
Information

Post by spartanKH »

So I've built a few pedals and understand how to read most schematics but I've got a couple questions for some that I have seen. Here's a schematic of a byoc British blues overdrive that has an example of both my questions

First off is what do the ground symbols mean that have the +1/2v next to them? And also how do you wire the part of the schematic that is separate from the rest of the circuit?

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

+1/2V symbol is not a symbol of the ground, it might looks like GND but this is a different point of connection. It usually made with two resistors, in this
case with R11 and R12.
Separate parts of the circuit are connected with simple wire if these flows DC current and with shielded cable if it transmit audio signal (if short
distance is about an inch, can all be linked with simple wire).

spartanKH
Information

Post by spartanKH »

Alright so to put all of it together you would connect all of the +1/2v areas together? I've made this pedal already actually but only followed the instructions on their website which doesn't use the schematic at all and just tells you how to put it together... The whole circuit is on one pcb so why separate the two parts of the circuit on the schematic? I could maybe imagine it to simplify the schematic a little but it doesn't seem like it would cause much more clutter to show those connections. Unless of course I'm still not understanding something here as to how it is all connected in the finished product. Sorry for the noobish understanding of this but I'd just like to be able to read any schematic I come across and this has stumped me.

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

Of course all +V connect together same as all +1/2V and GND pins. Don't forget to add pin8 of IC on +V and pin4 of IC on GND area.
Sometimes some parts of the schematic are drawing as separate blocks for simpler understanding electrical circuits. It should be viewed as whole circuit.

spartanKH
Information

Post by spartanKH »

Alright awesome, thanks for helping me out with understanding schematics!