So... I've built the 'Confidence Boost' and 'Ruby Amp.'

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
itsthedevil
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox ac4
Completed builds: Big Muff IC78, SHO Clone and a couple of Ruby Amps.

Post by itsthedevil »

Hi guys. As mentioned in the title I have built both of these (in kit form.) I can safely say that I have the bug! I really enjoyed the process and had a lot of fun. The million dollar question is - what next?! I was thinking of maybes doing something on a pcb or breadboard and sourcing the parts myself. What do you think? Before the 'Confidence Boost,' I had next to zero experience in electronics and I must admit I am proud of myself. I know that breadboarding and ordering the parts myself is a whole different kettle of fish than building a basic kit. I am pretty skint and will probably be ordering (when I can afford) minimal parts at a time and doing each project over a few weeks. Thoughts? Rants? Should I stay or Should I go?
Cheers in advance!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

If you think you might build some more, a solderless breadboard is highly recommended. I ignored this advise for a good six months, and ended up building quite a few stripboard layouts that didn't sound that great, but I felt obliged to box them up because of the time and cash investment I'd made. For a few dollars/pounds/whatver, they are well worth the cash so you can try out simple circuits before you commit them to solder. If the circuit isn't quite to your taste, you can tweak some values, or just unplug all the components and try a different circuit.

In terms of next step, you could try building from a purchased PCB only (i.e. you still need to source the parts, but there is dedicated build documentation to help with the construction, places like guitarpcb.com etc have forums to help out too). Or, you could try out some simple stripboard layouts - IvIark's tagboardfx has an enormous number of verified vero/stripboard layouts of all sorts of classic, modern and boutique pedals, and vero is cheap and easy once you get into the swing of it.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

Thanks for getting back to me! I think once I get paid, I am going to order a solderless breadboard and order the components for beavis muff fuzz. Any suggestions for buying the parts? I was thinking of ordering double just in case. I suppose if I don't use the second set I could use them on another project? I am in the UK by the way!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

If cost is the main factor, http://www.bitsbox.co.uk is probably overall cheapest: Their components are reasonable, they do good breadboards, and they have a flat delivery fee no matter how much you buy. The only drawback is their pots aren't great, since they only stock long plastic shafted pots, and you have to trim them down to size, which is a pain: Maybe they stock them now, I haven't bought from there for a while. Most DIY-ers prefer alpha pots: http://www.doctortweek.co.uk does a smaller range of parts, similar prices, slightly pricier shipping but DOES do alpha pots. When you get into building more, http://www.taydaelectronics.com has a really wide range of parts, cheaper than UK-based suppliers, but since it is overseas costs more in terms of shipping and takes longer: However, if you buy plenty of stuff (see below) it will work out way cheaper.

Passive components are very cheap, it is worth ordering ten of each. Equally, since the shipping is probably equal to the value of the caps and transistors, you may as well buy at least 2, maybe 5 sets of each. If you never build another pedal (unlikely, it is highly addictive), you will have wasted a couple of quid. If you pursue it, you will have started to build a parts stash. When I started, I would put together an order for parts for two or three circuits at a time, ordering five or ten of each value I needed. Very quickly, I acquired most values commonly used in circuits, and a variety of common chips and transistors. Now, if I come across a schematic that looks interesting, I usually have the parts required to breadboard it, see if I like it, and maybe build the pedal the same day without making an order. Early on, the pots switches, knobs and enclosure are a large expense, and may only seem worth buying one of each needed, but the actual components are definitely worth buying in bulk.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

Cheers! Just had a wee spy at bitsbox - that seems crazy cheap! Roll on payday....!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Another good thing to do is start off with the simpler projects and work your way up to more complicated ones, that's what I did when I was just starting out in electronics, you'll find that you will learn alot along the way, have you thought of trying an LPB-1 build?, you could also try a Fuzz Face, whatever you do make sure you do alot of reading of the other threads, also check out the Davidoff Library section, there's tons of great stuff there too.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

Cheers! I spend most of my working day thinking about little projects - you guys are an amazing help. I bought a copy of 'electronics for dummies' and I've started to work my way through that. I have looked up courses to help with electronics but unfortunately, I live in a little town which is neither here nor there. Not to worry though! I am however, doing the next project via a breadboard to help learn schematics etc as PCBs (which are amazing) seem more of a paint by numbers than learning about the actual circuits. So you think a fuzz face or an lpb?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

itsthedevil wrote:Cheers! I spend most of my working day thinking about little projects - you guys are an amazing help. I bought a copy of 'electronics for dummies' and I've started to work my way through that. I have looked up courses to help with electronics but unfortunately, I live in a little town which is neither here nor there. Not to worry though! I am however, doing the next project via a breadboard to help learn schematics etc as PCBs (which are amazing) seem more of a paint by numbers than learning about the actual circuits. So you think a fuzz face or an lpb?

The Fuzz Face is one of those popular stompbox designs that alot of people seem to be interested in building, if you decide build the Silicon Transistor version it's fairly easy to build and get going, the Germanium Transistor version's a bit more finicky to build, the LPB-1 is another popular stompbox design(basically it's a booster/overdriver like the Rangemaster), you could also try the Bazz Fuzz too, or maybe a Big Muff, whatever you do don't be afraid to ask someone for help, that's what we're all here for, good luck with your builds and above all, have fun too.... :thumbsup

Be sure to check out the Ready To Build projects thread too.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

As far as electronics theory goes, the internet is a great source. Many university courses post their notes online and lots of people write simple electronics lessons into webpages. Most of the circuits we work with are made up of several circuit blocks that are used over and over. Anytime you hear of a new circuit block just google it or look it up on Wikipedia. Start with 'common emitter amplifier' and 'common collector amplifier'. Once you understand these, you'll see them everywhere, and 'common source amplifier' and 'common drain amplifier' will be easy. Then you're ready for op-amps. I learned a lot by starting with the wikipedia articles on these two circuits, and then clicking links in the article and in the 'See also' section.

These lessons will be much more fruitful if you invest a few bucks in a simple breadboard, a handful of common parts, and a cheap dmm. For instance, you can easily fit both an LPB and an electra on the same breadboard and use a dpdt to switch between them to hear the difference. Then start playing with component values just to see what happens. Then look up schematics for 80% of lovepedal's product line.

Good luck.

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

After much thought, I think it is going to be the super hard on (much to my wife's distaste!) Be prepared for a gazillion questions!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

itsthedevil wrote:After much thought, I think it is going to be the super hard on (much to my wife's distaste!) Be prepared for a gazillion questions!

Good choice, it's a fairly easy one to build but if you have problems don't be afraid to ask for help..... :thumbsup

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

Thanks again! The main problem I'm having (in my mind) is the ground cables (I.e. on the perf. diagrams I understand the ins and outs but isn't there meant to be ground cables?) Oh my pregnant head! :)

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

That's fairly straight forward - All layouts will have a strip labelled "ground": You just need to connect the input and output grounds AND the power negative to this point. Are you planning to use a battery for power?

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

I am planning on just using a battery to power it. Is there any particular layout / schematic that I should follow? I am planning on buying all the parts (including a solderless breadboard) from bitsbox next Wednesday (payday.) I seriously can't wait to get started!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

For any pedal using a battery, this wiring diagram is good:

If you're not going to use a DC power adaptor jack, you can just connect the red wire from the battery snap direct to the "+V" point on the board, and the black wire (battery negative) direct to the ring of the stereo input jack: This is important as it prevents the battery from draining when not in use (if you remember to unplug the guitar cord from the input). Note that the circuit board has two ground points: There is no difference between them, you can assume they are connected on the circuit board.

The website that diagram is from has loads of useful DIY techie stuff: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/

As for layouts, are you planning perf, vero, pcb? I'm strictly veroboard: Here's what I'd use -

... taken from http://www.tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/ - Literally hundreds of cool veroboard layouts by IvIark, a regular 'round these parts.

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

I think I shall be using vero board. (Another) silly question for you - the strips (i.e. 1-7,) is each row connected and it it just a case of soldering each component (like a pcb) in the holes as the board layouts? Again, I am really sorry for the silly questions! I shall definitely be getting a solderless breadboard for testing it first.

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

Disregard the question about the rows being connected! I forgot about my old pal Google! :roll: Anyhoo... I really appreciate all the help. :D

itsthedevil
Information

Post by itsthedevil »

Update! I have finally ordered the parts etc.... phew! It took me a while but I think I've got all the components sorted! I'll take some pics etc and do a build report so others can learn from my mistakes. Thanks again guys!