byoc confidence boost enclosure problems

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
itsthedevil
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox ac4
Completed builds: Big Muff IC78, SHO Clone and a couple of Ruby Amps.

Post by itsthedevil »

Hey guys, this is my last resort! I have built a confidence boost and have tried to put it in a simple tin box. There is no sound coming from it when it is in the enclosure but when it is out, it works fine. Its not a modded version (led, foot switch etc) just the PCB and is just to tidy it up. Thanks again my favourite people!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

If it's totally silent (i.e. no hiss, hum etc), it sounds like either the input, output or power is being grounded when the circuit is inside the enclosure. What sort of DC jack have you got? (if you're using one), it needs to be insulated. Check the wiring on your your input and output jacks to ensure that are definitely using the tip for signal, the sleeve for ground, and the input ring for battery negative (if you're using a battery.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

itsthedevil
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox ac4
Completed builds: Big Muff IC78, SHO Clone and a couple of Ruby Amps.

Post by itsthedevil »

Its just a 9v battery supply - I'll try and insulate the in and out when I get home, any suggestions what to use? By the way, I built the SHO using the instructions you gave me- it was all going smoothly until I noticed I'd ordered the wrong pot.... next time gadget! Thanks again for helping!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Only the DC jack needs to be insulated: DC plugs by convention have centre negative and outer positive - This means a metal DC jack socket will ground the positive supply connection to the enclosure: Not an issue with your build. The input and output jacks do not have this issue, since by convention, the outer connection of audio jacks sockets and plugs is ground, so the enclosure is grounded from the amplifier's ground connection via the output cable. Just check that the cable grounds are connected to the outer lug of the sockets (the one that makes physical contact with the enclosure). Also check the input and output wires don't have any stray strands that may contact the enclosure.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...