Do I need to ground the pots?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
kampfgolem
Information

Post by kampfgolem »

Hello, absolute newbie here. I just finished my first build using this schematic:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ExAPYv_ZRF0/T ... allest.png

I got audio but it sounded horrible. I checked for unwanted bridges, bad solder points and bad components and couldn't find any faults. I was wondering though - would it be possible the bad quality of sound stems from the fact I only ground the pot I was asked to ground (Volume)? Should I ground all the pots? Everything else (jacks, DC) is grounded.

Thank you :)

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

Welcome to the addiction.

No, only the volume pot has a ground connection, as you can see on the schematic. (By the way, what you posted is not a schematic, but a vero layout.) Whenever you have problems with a build (and even when you don't) it's a good idea to check the layout against the schematic. That layout is verified, so if it isn't working, there's a problem in your build. If you post hi resolution close-up photos of it, including the front and back of the board and all of the wiring, maybe we can help you spot the problem.

kampfgolem
Information

Post by kampfgolem »

Thanks, I see. Hmm, I'm guessing it's just bad solder points. I've checked multiple times the locations of each component and found no issues.

Also, I'm not working with stripboard, but the kind of perf board that has a copper ring for each hole. The thing with soldering is I can't get the solder to stick on some pieces because of the grease on them from handling. What could I clean the parts previous to soldering to avoid this sort of thing? I'm starting over again and maybe arranging the components in a way that better suits the different kind of perf board.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

You can get similar problems with strip-board too.

I usually give the copper side a very light rub over with very fine sandpaper (or wirewool). This helps remove grease and also oxidation.

Care in assembling the board, so as not to 'grease' the copper with your fingers, should allow you to make good soldered joints after that.

One thing you could do with the 'ringed' perf board that you're using is to 'tin' each circle after you've cleaned the copper. If you're not sure what 'tinning' is, it's the application of a thin layer of solder, so that when you come to solder your components in place, they solder up really easily.

Good luck :thumbsup
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

kampfgolem
Information

Post by kampfgolem »

Pardon my french but that is a sweet fucking idea! Why the hell didn't I think of it lol.

I'll do that and keep you posted. Thanks a lot for all the help :)

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

Maybe a dumb question, but I assume you've altered the layout to account for the differences between vero and perf?

kampfgolem
Information

Post by kampfgolem »

Yup, adapted the thing to perf.