Audio Jack Wiring Issues

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
bafyre
Information

Post by bafyre »

I am currently building my first pedal and have ran into issue, I can't get my audio jacks to work. There is a lot of noise when I unplug them, but as soon as either of their wires touch, red or blue, the noise cuts out. Below is a picture of my audio jack, if that helps you figure out the issue. The red is the input/output and the blue is ground. If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

We're going to need a bigger picture than that. It would also help to see the rest of the circuit.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Is this thread serious?
A pic the size of a stamp without an application and then asking for advice?

Let's do an analogy:
My DD2 gives distorted delays. Can anyone tell me what's wrong:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

JustinFun
Information

Post by JustinFun »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:Is this thread serious?
This is the absolute beginners section - I think we should cut some slack.

Bafyre - it's not very clear what you're asking, but the sound cutting out when the leads touch is normal as you are shorting the signal to ground.

What makes you think it's the jacks and not some other part of your build that is causing the problem? Jacks are quite simple, the rest of the circuit is likely to be less so. That said, it can be difficult as a beginner to get the solder to flow properly onto a jack solder tab:

- make sure you 'tin' the leads beforehand (coat them in solder)

- when you add solder to the tag (with the lead poked through) you will first see the solder sit on top of the tag in a blob, then after a second or two you will see it sort of 'relax' and spread across the tan and lead. If you leave it at the 'blob' stage then you will have a joint which does not make proper contact and will cut in and out noisily (if it works at all).

- a common beginners mistake is to either add solder first to the tab, then push the lead in and apply the iron to remelt the 'old' solder, or to cover the soldering iron tip in solder then apply this to the tab and lead. In both these cases you will have already evaporated the flux in the solder and you will be back with the 'blob' issue. What you need to do is to apply the solder direct to the iron-heated lead/tab. Thin solder and a tin-lead mix (rather than lead free) helps with this.

JustinFun
Information

Post by JustinFun »

Also, from squinting at the tiny picture it looks as though you migh have your ground and input/output wires the wrong way round. The innermost tag is the ground. This looks like it's connected to your red wire (which you said was in/out) This will cause problems if you're sharing power with other pedals or amp.