Bluesbreaker clone mods

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.

Bluesbreaker clone mods

Postby kylelaster » 11 Aug 2014, 19:14

So i built a General Guitar Gadgets bluesbreaker clone about a year ago. It sounds great but heres what I would like to do i just dont know how to go about it. I never use the gain or tone knobs past noon, so is there a resistor or cap somewhere in the circuit i can change to make what i get from 0 to about noon the entire sweep of the pot instead? Is that a resistor change or a pot value change? Help!
kylelaster

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Bluesbreaker clone mods

Postby splice42 » 28 Aug 2014, 14:00

Not sure why no one replied to you, so I registered to give you an answer.

If you want the sweep of the pots to be different, I suggest you get different pots. For the gain, you should have a 100k linear (B100) pot. If you want to only use half of that range, get a 50k linear pot instead. The tone is a 25k linear pot, so if you want to use half, you'd need a 12.5k linear pot but that doesn't really exist that I know of. 10k linear might fit the bill for you if you don't really use the very top end, or you might just want to put in a 2.2k resistor in between the middle lug and the pad on the board, making the sweep 2.2k to 12.2k, cutting off the very bottom range of the pot which hopefully you don't use.

This is all off the top of my head but it should work for your purposes.
splice42

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Bluesbreaker clone mods

Postby PokeyPete » 28 Aug 2014, 19:29

splice42 wrote:Not sure why no one replied to you, so I registered to give you an answer.

If you want the sweep of the pots to be different, I suggest you get different pots. For the gain, you should have a 100k linear (B100) pot. If you want to only use half of that range, get a 50k linear pot instead. The tone is a 25k linear pot, so if you want to use half, you'd need a 12.5k linear pot but that doesn't really exist that I know of. 10k linear might fit the bill for you if you don't really use the very top end, or you might just want to put in a 2.2k resistor in between the middle lug and the pad on the board, making the sweep 2.2k to 12.2k, cutting off the very bottom range of the pot which hopefully you don't use.

This is all off the top of my head but it should work for your purposes.

Sorry, you may want to rethink that! For instance, look at the gain pot. What resistor value do you have feeding back with the pot turned back all the way? What's the value going to the next stage? How about at noon? Or, at max value?
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson
PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 64 times

Return to Absolute Beginners