electronic parts in garage during winter

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.

electronic parts in garage during winter

Postby jimiguitar » 17 Nov 2014, 17:00

is it safe to keep electronic parts in garage during winter ? or how cold can you keep them before they are ruined
jimiguitar

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: electronic parts in garage during winter

Postby grrrunge » 17 Nov 2014, 17:04

jimiguitar wrote:is it safe to keep electronic parts in garage during winter ? or how cold can you keep them before they are ruined

That would usually be specified in the component datasheet. How cold does your garage get?
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk
grrrunge
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 199 times

Postby jimiguitar » 17 Nov 2014, 18:28

looks like i'am safe all of the data sheets so far that i saw say -55c which is about -65f it dont get colder than single digits at the worst winters we had
jimiguitar

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby deltafred » 17 Nov 2014, 18:50

I would be more worried about condensation causing corrosion than the actual temperature.
I know condensation in my garage can be pretty bad when the temperature changes rapidly.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 232 times

Postby Duckman » 17 Nov 2014, 21:43

deltafred wrote:I would be more worried about condensation causing corrosion than the actual temperature.
I know condensation in my garage can be pretty bad when the temperature changes rapidly.

I agree. Unless you live near the Poles or in some very extreme climatic condition, you must concern more about how humidity work in metal parts of components, than temperature.
Soldering doesn't like oxidation. :secret:
Duckman
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 121 times

Return to Absolute Beginners