How to desolder components easily?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

I'm the only one here having a lot of troubles when desoldering on the dunlop pcbs? the tracks always came off with the heat of the solder..I got this problem only when modding dunlop wahs..now I'm at the point that I want to do a lot of mods but the risk is too much...

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

use soderwick desoldering braid - let it cool down for a few seconds - then remove the component :wink:
bajaman

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

before desoldering, use additional new solder (resoldering) before desoldering that you increase the available flux on the solderjoint.

The solder will get faster liquid, by this reducing the stress to the pcb.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

Thank you! the resoldering trick is something very useful and new to me! I'ce already heard of the desoldering braid but I have no idea of how it's called here in italy! I'll try to search it anyway..
For the wah I was thinking to rebuild it from zero, getting rid of the original pcb..having this shitty pcb mounted jacks causes me a lot of problems too, sometimes I get a lot of noise depending of how the plug are connected, a little twist and the noise come off..but if you're playing live your song is already fucked..I was thinking of using a stripboard..etching a PCB is a cool process but I always have troubles in the ironing part so every time I've to redraw all the lines with a permanent marker, loosing all the track quality...anyone has already a stripboard layout for a wah?

darrenbkl@gmail.com
Information

Post by darrenbkl@gmail.com »

Hi all,got a serious problem here,i m a newbie to electronics, and while modding my ds1 to keeley specs. i desolder one of the stock resistor,and i got the copper track that just surrounded the resistor lead suck up,wat should i do?

the top hole in the picture is the problem.
Attachments
03102008166.jpg

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

If you have a replacement resistor, you could just bend the lead and solder it directly to the next component to the right.

Pedalpusher
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Pedalpusher »

Man I hate trying to remove solder from through hole boards. Half the time I end up lifting a trace before I get the damn part out. I tried getting the opamp out and replace it with a socket so I could try some other opamps. What a pain in the ass. I use the spring loaded sucker tool and some solder wick but there is always enough solder left to keep it from coming out. No matter how many thousands of times I try getting the solder off the damn board. I think an air compressor would work a lot better. Anyway I don't have to worry about it now. It got the best of me so I threw it on the ground and stomped on it. Well gotta go to my anger management class now. :slap:

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Desoldering braid is for you! Great for ICs I think...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

It depends on the solder too.
The Lead Free stuff doesn't flow like Leaded solder and is a real PITA to remove from through holes.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Pedalpusher wrote:It got the best of me so I threw it on the ground and stomped on it.
You're a pedalpusher after all, no? :blackeye

Lolbou, the solder wick is the same braid.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

Grathan
Information

Post by Grathan »

I really like the 45w hollow tip bulb sucker that Radio Shack has. I haven't done any IC chips yet, but it does clean the hole pretty good. At 45 watts it's fast and at like $12 it's also cheap.

Pedalpusher
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Pedalpusher »

I'll have a look at that. The braid and spring loaded sucker just don't do all that great of a job. And if it works it'll pay for itself the first time it saves me from smashing a pedal!

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I think it's time for me to save up for one of those fancy powered vacuum desoldering tools... I can do basic single-sided with the spring-loaded sucker just fine, but plated through isn't happening for me. :?
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

A small tip - snip the individual leads on amp amps - the bits that are left will come out very easily with solder braid and a pair of long nosed pliers :wink:
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

Pedalpusher
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Pedalpusher »

Duh. That makes too much sense. Thanks bajaman! I'll remember that.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

Greg_G wrote:It depends on the solder too.
The Lead Free stuff doesn't flow like Leaded solder and is a real PITA to remove from through holes.
Agreed ! Especially in ground planes.
A simple trick that helps a bit : add lead !
Just reflow the solder with good ol' SnPb solder wire and it's just as bad as it was before RoHS :roll:
I only give negative feedback.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

and remember:

flux is your friend! :hug:

i picked up one of those flux pens the last time i was at the e-shop. it's great. the solder gets sucked right up in the wick, and more importantly-

no more mess!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO