I don't have that exact component: equivalents

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
Spazzmatazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Spazzmatazz »

I've got a few pedal project on the way, but when I go shopping the components, I always have some problems. I want to know parts that would work instead of others.

any substitution or equivalence to:

J201
2N5952

thanxs

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

They're both JFETs so you could go for 2N5457, 2N5458, 2N5459, 2N5484, 2N5485, 2N5486, MPF102. These all have the same DSG configuration as the J201 but would have to be turned 180º if used as replacements for the 2N5952 (GSD).

You could also use something like the 2SK117 or 2SK170 but they are both DGS so you would have to alter the scheme to reflect that.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Spazzmatazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Spazzmatazz »

ok man!!

let's see if my store have them.

thank you.
Spazz

AbuseArt
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: laney lc15
Completed builds: Vox Clyde McCoy
Rebote Delay 2.5
Tube Screamer TS-808
Exotic AC Booster
Marshall Guv'nor
Big Muff Pi
Big Muff Triangle
EH Pulsar
Joe's Simple Overdrive

Post by AbuseArt »

Hi,

I'm just buying capacitors and pots for a Rebote 2.5 Delay and Tubescreamer.

1. for example, both units demand 25k pots. Can I use 22k instead and add parallel 3k resistor to one of its leg?
2. are capacitancies as important as resistances? Rebote needs 0.027uF. The closest value they have is 22nF. Would it work? I know that distortion circuits doesnt need big precision, today I made Big Muff using not perfect values but it still sounds like brand new box from Electro Harmonix ;)

Thanks in advance

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

A lot of the time small parts subs won't make any audible difference. I made a Rebote with barely any matching parts - you will be fine with the alterations you have mentioned, it'll work fine, maybe sound slightly different. Pot taper's must be matched to get the same response and RC filters where one value is alters must be compensated to work at the same corner freq as before. But the circuits will still function fine.

I am Klon.