Do I have to register trademark or copyright?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

Hello friends!!!
If I want to make my distortion pedals(my own schematic and design) what do i have to protect (by copyright or similar),what to register to legaly start the bussines?
I am from Croatia(Europe) but I think the laws are international.
If anybody knows something please let me know!!
Thanks to in advance!

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

You don't have to protect anything in order to legally sell it. In the US, patents, copyright, and trademark all are supposed to protect different aspects of a product, but analog electronics are easy to reverse engineer, easy to modify slightly enough to avoid legal consequences, and it's quite expensive to attempt to protect intellectual property, with no guarantee that you'll get any compensation even if you win such a battle.

For distortion pedals, I wouldn't invest much in trying to protect your ideas. Not really worth the effort.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

earthtonesaudio wrote:You don't have to protect anything in order to legally sell it. In the US, patents, copyright, and trademark all are supposed to protect different aspects of a product, but analog electronics are easy to reverse engineer, easy to modify slightly enough to avoid legal consequences, and it's quite expensive to attempt to protect intellectual property, with no guarantee that you'll get any compensation even if you win such a battle.

For distortion pedals, I wouldn't invest much in trying to protect your ideas. Not really worth the effort.
Thank you very much for the informations!!!