inverting or non-inverting input?

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
bassk81976
Information

Post by bassk81976 »

what's the difference between the two for an ic like the lm386 or the lm4562?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Those are two very different ICs.

The LM386 has internal feedback and biasing networks so that the inputs are ground referenced and the gain is fixed at 20. The other is a more general purpose op-amp which means the input bias and gain need to be set externally.

Basically you just need 3 bits of information to understand (ideal) op-amps:

1. The inputs draw no current
2. Through the use of feedback, the output does whatever is necessary to make the inputs equal.
3. The output follows the (+) or non-inverting input and does the opposite of the (-) or inverting input.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

What's the difference how? Bias? Gain? Freq Response?

I am Klon.

bassk81976
Information

Post by bassk81976 »

yea, i knew the two chips were vastly different, i listed them as examples because the have a common thread - an inverting and a non-inverting input pin. I just don't know the difference. Phase shift?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

In very general terms, when the signal at the non-inverting input goes up, the output goes up. When the signal at the inverting input goes up, the output goes down.
What's the difference how? Bias? Gain? Freq Response?
General purpose op-amps have very high (ideally infinite) open-loop gain and need external components to set gain. The LM386 has its gain set by internal resistors. Also, most op-amps need their inputs biased by external components, but again the LM386's inputs are internally biased near ground.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.