NTE opinions?

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
lowbrow
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lowbrow »

What's the general consensus on NTE stuff? Particularly op-amps? It took me over an hour to figure out the reason my Barber Dirty Bomb clone didn't work was a faulty Texas Instruments TL071 (!). I picked up a NTE sub for it on the way to work this AM, but wonder if their stuff is bottom of the barrel, mid-level, or what the general perception is...

SonicDaeath
Information

Post by SonicDaeath »

I only really buy NTE parts when I don't have time to order from an online retailer. I've never had an issue with any NTE part other than that the local supplier I buy from is as overpriced as Radio Shack.

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

NTE parts are relatively easy to get where I live as there is a local electronics store about 2 miles from me that stocks them. They are expensive compared to the parts they replace though. I have used NTE 199's in a BMP and it sounds great (600 hfe, pinout is BCE though which is a bummer and they cost 6 bucks, 2N5088s are a quarter online or a buck at Radio Shack LOL). I have used the NTE 2321 in a Swollen Pickle clone and it sounds great.

I have tried NTE 103A's in a Tone Bender and the batch of 3 I have are all 30 to 60 hfe (data sheet says 60 is the minimum and 295 is max. I was hoping for a couple over 100 ) which are too low for anything other than Q1.

BTW, I threw the NTE103A's into the Swollen Pickle clone in the Q2 and Q3 positions and it sounded just fine. I figure that to get a couple of high hfe NTE103a's I would have to buy a bunch (around 10 or so, and keep my fingers crossed), and they are going for 6 to 7 bucks per tranny now, which is a little rich for my blood. So for germaniums you are better off buying from a source that guarantees the hfe or will let you cherry pick and return what you don't want.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Too expensive for simple remarked stuff :roll: