Angle Loss' 14 opamp test in a Timmy

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

It's a nice clean recording.
Am I the only one who thinks that the changes in tone you hear could have just as easily been made by adjusting the controls on the amp? I mean, why go through the trouble of swapping an opamp for slightly less bass when you can just turn down the bass on the amp? I've never understood that. It's one thing to mod something for a big improvement or change, but most of those opamps were very subtle, and the ones that had a marked change (like the Burr-Brown), seemed to be a change for the worse. Basically, it seems like the opamps fall into two categories: those that sound good in the circuit, and those that don't.
Still, it was some interesting listening. I liked his overdrive shootout with the KOT, Eternity Burst, and OCD. I think the E was the best sounding of the bunch; though I didn't really care for any of them personally... they all sounded like wimpy little stompboxes; not like what a real amp can do... no magic. Maybe if he played them louder? :?
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

soulsonic wrote:It's a nice clean recording.
Am I the only one who thinks that the changes in tone you hear could have just as easily been made by adjusting the controls on the amp? I mean, why go through the trouble of swapping an opamp for slightly less bass when you can just turn down the bass on the amp? I've never understood that. It's one thing to mod something for a big improvement or change, but most of those opamps were very subtle, and the ones that had a marked change (like the Burr-Brown), seemed to be a change for the worse. Basically, it seems like the opamps fall into two categories: those that sound good in the circuit, and those that don't.
Most players like to set the amp for what they think sounds best by itself, and then find pedals that work best at those settings. It's a drag when you have to compromise your amps sound to make your pedal sound right. Sure you might be able to turn the bass on the amp up or down to make a pedal sound right, or close to another pedal, but then you might not be digging the sound of the amp straight. If changing a chip out to something that sounds a little darker/brighter nails it for you then go for it. It's no different than changing the pups in your guitar, or trying different tubes in your amp. I much prefer setting the pedal up around the amp instead of doing it the other way...

I didn't ask the guy who posted the chip swap to do it. He was just wanting to try a bunch of chips out that others have talked about, and then posted his results for others. Not unlike what people do here - they try different chips, and then talk about it.

Later, PaulC
Tim & timmy pedals/Heritage amps