Simple volume boost

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.

Simple volume boost

Postby DagoMaino » 02 Aug 2013, 18:02

Super Noob question here!

I just need to add a simple volume boost to a true bypass pedal that I made. The pedal I have in the loop gives me a 3db-12db volume drop depending on the effect. Can I just use a simple Resistor-Op Amp-Potentiometer idea like the attached diagram, or should I build a mini booster circuit to put into the pedal like the Xotic EP Booster?

Tight on space in the pedal so smaller is better but if I go with the booster circuit I may just build a separate pedal to put in the loop with the effect so I can use it elsewhere if my set up changes later.

I want the most transparent volume possible. If the diagram, can you make recommendation for values and op amp?

DagoMaino

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Simple volume boost

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Aug 2013, 18:46

There's quite a few things missing from that schematic - Input + output caps, voltage divider resistors to provide the vref ("0v") etc, plus it's an inverting configuration. A dual opamp booster would not take up more space than a single opamp (since they're both 8 pin DIP) - Maybe try the Boost tiger by Mr Black pedals (updated MXR micro-amp type thing):

Here's the thread -

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22021&hilit=boost+tiger

Here's the schematic, courtesy of Mr Black (Jack Deville) himself:

download/file.php?id=21176&mode=view

There's a vero I did at the end of the thread as well.

If you want it really small, I'd advise a single discrete booster like the Super Hard-on (quite transparent) or LPB-1 (not very transparent) or AMZ mini boost - These will all fit on a really tiny circuit board.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 726 times

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Aug 2013, 19:53

Or I found this guide to making a more simple, single opamp boost circuit: All values and suggested components included, plus some guidelines as to how to tweak it to your liking -

http://www.jer00n.nl/2010/07/28/clean-b ... r-or-bass/
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 726 times

Postby DagoMaino » 02 Aug 2013, 20:27

Thanks for the input. I checked out the tiger boost and it looks promising but may go with the SHO simple layout I came across on the Briggs sight so that I can save on the extra cabling and throw it in the same box as the bypass loop.

Cheers!
DagoMaino

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to ICs (Integrated Circuits)