Question about opamp circuits, too long to fit title field

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
johanwastaken
Information

Post by johanwastaken »

Basically I have made a tremolo LFO that uses an optoisolator to make the resistance across two pins increase and decrease in time with the LFO.

What I need is the option to let the increasing resistance either increase or decrease the volume of an opamp. The reason why I need this is that in a stereo tremolo, you either want the two channels to do have the same curve or you want the channels to have inverted curves.

Is there an easy way to toggle between these two things with a switch? Maybe switch the placement of the resistor between the feedback loop and before the opamp?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Post a schematic if you want specific advice.

But until then, my advice is to make another driver for a second optoisolator that taps off the LFO. Check this out:
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/p ... verser.htm
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

johanwastaken
Information

Post by johanwastaken »

Something like this is what I had in mind:

Since the gain is R2/R1, an increasing resistance across the optocoupler will decrease the gain. I want to be able to flip a switch so that the opposite will be true, that increased resistance across the optocoupler will increase the gain.

I could use a DPDT to simply swap them around but is there an easier way?

An extra optocoupler will use too much extra board space.

johanwastaken
Information

Post by johanwastaken »

By the way, there's an error in the schematic. The two lugs of the optocoupler shouldn't be connected.