Possible to damage an op amp so it sounds bad but works?

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
MKB
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MKB »

Has anyone seen any examples of op amps in distortion boxes being damaged so that they sound bad but still amplify? I have a Boss Distortion that I put the Keeley Seeing Eye mods into, but now it sounds very splatty. I triple checked the mods and checked voltages, but everything looks OK. It would be nice to get opinions from any of you before I try to skywire a DIP8 in place of that inline op amp. Thanks!!

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

This is about DS1 right?

The opamp probably isn't the problem. The problem is you did some magic mods without knowing what you were doing. Happened to me too. :mrgreen:
Haven't you got another spare opamp to try?

Didn't know the all seeing eye included a opamp change... which info did you use?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

I've seen a 741 opamp sounding badly (low level and high noise) on a deluxe mistress, and once had to change the Tl072 input opamp in my valvestate (noisy and low level too!)... I mean, those were still "working", but with ultra lo-fi specs...

Anyway, I've never known what damaged them...

Socket your opamp, and try other ones as modman said...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

MKB
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MKB »

Thanks for the replies. It is a DS-1 with the inline dual op amp. Looks like it is time to skywire methinks.

Entrant_21
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Entrant_21 »

MKB wrote:Thanks for the replies. It is a DS-1 with the inline dual op amp. Looks like it is time to skywire methinks.
those inline op-amps are nice for space saving. but monte allums sells an inline adapter, to keep things tidy, check it out. Id reccomend putting an IC socket on the adapter then you can try different op-amps. Also try the LM308/N, its pretty junky im told.

you tried reducing the voltage going to the power supply pin on the IC? It should reduce headroom and get the circuit sounding dirty, even without the distorting diodes. I would say starve the circuit but going below a certain amount would mess about with the bypassing, whereas just starving the IC the bypass will be unaffected.