IC based OD question - bass freq's

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
mugician
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mugician »

So I have another question. It's been snowing and raining here in Colorado for almost 2 weeks straight, and there hasn't been much for my jobless self to do but think and think and think.

...And I've got some REALLY cool ideas. :horsey:

But what I'm asking here probably isn't that cool, or new.

I read somewhere once that IC's in IC based overdrive circuits don't like bass freq's being fed into them, so a big part of the circuit is stripping freq's and adding them later right? Well, I don't know about the second part, but IC's not liking bass freq's is what I'm after here.

What about a potentiometer right at the input with whatever value cap(s) and the wiper not going to ground, but to the end of the circuit, after the IC? Sort of like a clean bass mix where you can almost completely dial out your bass freq's at the beginning of the circuit so they don't go through the IC, and then add them later somewhere. I think that would be kind of a super cool way to control the tone, on top of the regular tone control and a diode warp of some sort - that could be a lot of different sounds...

Please excuse me if this is something everyone has thought of already and is already in mass production. I don't do much reading on circuits because I don't really understand them still, or at least to the point where I can answer my own questions. :mrgreen:

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

If it works I think it is an awesome idea, it would really save a lot of work on bass pedals were you want a clean blend.

mugician
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mugician »

Wait... so this isn't how a typical tubescreamer works?