IC chip selection

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
jatstrat
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC 30
Completed builds: Not much yet...absolute novice just starting out....
2 True bypass A/B boxes

Post by jatstrat »

Hello all, this is my first post...so please be gentle. I am a complete bona fide newbie at pedal building - nothing more complicated than A/B boxes and guitar rewiring at present. My question may seem very basic but here it is: How does one decide which IC chip/ OP amp to use???? Is there any info anywhere that can offer any info on specific characteristics of different chips and their suitability for various apps?....Im going to be getting my feet wet with a simple boost and progress from there.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

moved topic to FAQ's section.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

jatstrat
Information
2 True bypass A/B boxes

Post by jatstrat »

sorry for posting in the wrong area.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i'm guessing that you are talking about op amps. as in what would be used in a circuit like the tubescreamer? i would say the best way to do it would be to build up a circuit, buy a number of chips and use your ears. just because someone has compiled a list of what they think this or that opamp sounds like, it may sound different to you. all you have to do is make sure that the chips you buy are compatible with the circuit. the tubescreamer's 4558 chip is a dual opamp. there are many other dual opamps out there that fit the same pinout, just check the datasheet to make sure, socket your opamp, and go nuts. of course breadboarding is a great way to try out circuits as well, and i would say the best way to learn. welcome to the forum!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Build some simple projects to start.
Use the chip recommended in the schematic, or search for modifications and if they're swapping chips, try what other people have used in that circuit.
You'll soon get the hang of it.
You shouldn't need to be picking a chip from scratch at this time..
:D
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

jatstrat
Information
2 True bypass A/B boxes

Post by jatstrat »

Thanks for the replies to my post, and thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to the day when I will be able to contribute my experience to help others as opposed to simply seek the help of others.