IC for 24v operation

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Anyone have a good suggestion? I'm thinking about a design for a 24v buffer, as an experiment. I was hoping for a recommendation for an appropriate or interesting ic/opamp.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

You mean 0-24V, and no -12V - 0 - +12V? Cause the second option works with most opamps, with the same headroom as a +24V IC biased at 1/2Vcc...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

lolbou wrote:You mean 0-24V, and no -12V - 0 - +12V? Cause the second option works with most opamps, with the same headroom as a +24V IC biased at 1/2Vcc...
That didn't even occur to me but it makes perfect sense. That is a good starting point then...thanks, lolbou!

cpm
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by cpm »

what difference can 9v or 24v make anyway? its a buffer, as long as your input is within headroom.

for an IC, the usual TL072 and most other opamps are rated up to 36V

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

cpm wrote:what difference can 9v or 24v make anyway? its a buffer, as long as your input is within headroom.

for an IC, the usual TL072 and most other opamps are rated up to 36V
I guess that's what I'm curious about, since there's a gap in my knowledge here. Looking at this http://www.barberelectronics.com/B-Buff.html got me thinking about a charge pumped buffer.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

ibodog2 wrote:
madbean wrote:I guess that's what I'm curious about, since there's a gap in my knowledge here. Looking at this http://www.barberelectronics.com/B-Buff.html got me thinking about a charge pumped buffer.
You mean like this? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8040
Well, slap me silly and call me Susie, I need to read every thread on this board....

Thanks!