Octaver circuits???

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Is there an article somewhere on the basics of the CD4013 and octaver circuits?
Skyline FX 2013

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

http://hammer.ampage.org/files/rocktave.pdf

this is the basis of it. in a nutshell you are doing a simple thing. you build a buffer circuit and a gain circuit you roll off the the high end get a nice square wave and drop it in the cd4013 it triggers based on peak waves. one uses one oct down another oct down

now in this circuit it has a compandor in it which i like it seems to help smooth out the tracking

check out the boss circuit it does the same basic thing. there are other ways to do it. though i am unsure but i think mark hammer did an article on octaves at his site stating roughly that if you have a much higher signal and then you divide it down like with a decade switch you can get a much purer tone.

ed

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... qks7zD3-sc

if i rem correctly the boss unit is driving the cd4013 with an octave tracker similar to the one in the boss feedbacker. push pull dual opamp stage driving the flip flip ie one half of it.effectivly making it an oscilator that is tracked by the guitar signal. now you add this to the other half of the flip flop and you get an octave down due to the division. add this to another flip flop and you get yet another octave down. both of these go to buffer/gain stages and then to a volume pot for each.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/tom/ ... ossDF2.pdf

this is a similar circuit look at the input its buffered gain stage gain stage eq shaping freq splitting diode to clip and square then into a 4013 difference is it goes to a 4046 to generate the tones and a few minor things :) but thats for you to read my friend

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Gracias! Im working on an octaver with a 74HC74, like in the EBS pedal, but gawd theres LOTS of parts in that one. But it does track up to 3 note chords. Even on bass. Wish I still had mine. :cry:
Skyline FX 2013

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

you can make it track chords via freq selection