bridge diode as clippers

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
euronymous0001
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by euronymous0001 »

1) would this be asymmetrical since it uses 5 diodes or do i have to mix different diodes?
2) anybody already tried this and compare it to back-to-back clippers?

i would like to try this configuration on my future builds.
thanks and happy new year :thumbsup

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4599&hilit=+bridge+rectifier

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

Looks symmetrical to me, since both the positive and negative swing of an AC signal each go through 3 diodes to ground.

You might find some more information here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7023

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

There's something quite elegant about having 3 each way with 5 diodes... Could you use that without any tonal difference to just running 3 each way?
Testing, testing, won too fwee

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:There's something quite elegant about having 3 each way with 5 diodes... Could you use that without any tonal difference to just running 3 each way?

Marshall use that circuit in their JCM800 and JCM900 Amplifiers,so I guess there shouldn't be that much tonal difference,what will make a difference is the type of diodes used,Germanium diodes will produce soft clipping,Leds will clip a little harder,and Silicon diodes will clip hardest,you could arrange to have a switching system to select between bridge rectifiers made from the three different types of diodes.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.