3mm vs 5mm for clipping LEDs

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

HI

Can anyone tell me the difference and preferability of 3mm vs 5mm LEDs for clipping?

Im sure Ive seen 3mm and 5mm both used, is there a difference if the forward voltage is the same?
What about mixing and matching?
Ive read a bit about colours too if someone wants to give any guidance on that while they are here, im all ears

Thanks

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

LaceSensor wrote:HI

Can anyone tell me the difference and preferability of 3mm vs 5mm LEDs for clipping?

Im sure Ive seen 3mm and 5mm both used, is there a difference if the forward voltage is the same?
What about mixing and matching?
Ive read a bit about colours too if someone wants to give any guidance on that while they are here, im all ears

Thanks

I'd say that the forward voltages of 3mm Leds are the same as for 5mm Leds, but, the current consumption may be different, especially for 3mm high-brightness Leds, different colours do have different forward voltages, with blue leds having the highest at about 3.5V or so, if you're using them as clippers, I can't see any reason against mixing or matching, so give it a go and see what you get out of them... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Thanks for the reply, Doc.