Clipping diode selection help

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
lowbrow
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lowbrow »

I'm assembling parts to build a HAO Rust Driver. The original used Sony (or Hitachi) 1SS119 diodes, which I'm having a hard time finding. Many folks recommend substituting 1N4148. In looking at the datasheets though, it seems 1N4154 might be a closer match. Problem is, I don't know enough yet to know what the critical characteristics are in this application. What to pay attention to, what to be less concerned with. Can someone help me with some guidance or insight please?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

lowbrow wrote:I'm assembling parts to build a HAO Rust Driver. The original used Sony (or Hitachi) 1SS119 diodes, which I'm having a hard time finding. Many folks recommend substituting 1N4148. In looking at the datasheets though, it seems 1N4154 might be a closer match. Problem is, I don't know enough yet to know what the critical characteristics are in this application. What to pay attention to, what to be less concerned with. Can someone help me with some guidance or insight please?

Since the 1N4154 and 1N4148 diodes are silicon it's not that critical, both types should work fine especially if they are just being used as back-to-back clipping diodes.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

lowbrow
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lowbrow »

OK, thanks for the help. I'm not super dupe picky on tone anyway...I just love building pedals :lol: