LED choice for 3PDT true bypass stomp wiring

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
fishfude
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fishfude »

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of using ultrabright 5mm LEDs for my power indicator with my 3PDT true bypass stomp wiring. I've seen 4.7k quoted for normal LEDs. How do I calculate what I should use instead? Does its luminosity (1000mcd vs 4500mcd) affect things? Are there any other considerations (other than price) I should be taking into account?

As always, many thanks,

ff

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

it doesn't really matter. all a matter of taste and how bright you like 'em. 5.6k should be fine. go lower if you want it brighter and higher (10k) if you'd like it less retina damaging.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I find you can go 15-18k and still see it easily with the high efficiency/superbright ones: I always understood a higher value resistor made switch pop less likely.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

lofi73
Information

Post by lofi73 »

I have used 18k on some of the really bright ones.You can do a quick simple test by connecting/touching the led and resistor in series to a 9v battery

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

or wire a pot in series with the led, set it at the brightness you prefer and then measure it.