What kind of rectifier diode is this?

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

It is in a Zenith FM tuner that i took apart a while back. I am looking to use the PT from it for a tube preamp, and trying to figure what the PT's ratings are roughly, B+ wise.

What kind of diode is this? Can i assume that it has the same voltage drop characteristics as a more "normal" silicon setup like with 1N4001s/1N4007s?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-chris

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

If we are talking about the green one, this is a selenium-rectifier.

smells bestialic if overloaded....

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

analogguru wrote:If we are talking about the green one, this is a selenium-rectifier.

analogguru
Thanks! Do you know what the voltage drop characteristics are for one of these, compared with a silicon diode?

I have only a very low quality schematic for this, and it is difficult to read the voltages that are listed. It appears to be showing 130v after this selenium diode. Could it be assumed that the PT was providing roughly 90vac? Or is the drop different in the case of these diodes?

-chris

KHELSTROM
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by KHELSTROM »

analogguru wrote:If we are talking about the green one, this is a selenium-rectifier.

analogguru
Not only dose it smell bad when it fails, the vapors it releases upon failure are toxic! :shock: Stay away from these!

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

KHELSTROM wrote:

analogguru
Not only dose it smell bad when it fails, the vapors it releases upon failure are toxic! :shock: Stay away from these!
Thanks, I have no intention of using the selenium rectifier for anything, but i am trying to determine the specs of the PT that was attached to it. Are its voltage characteristics the same as those for silicon diodes?

-chris

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

Thanks! For some reason my google searches didn't lead me to any of those pages!

So i should expect more voltage out of this PT with a silicon rectifier. Good!

Thanks again!

-chris

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The curve is much smoother than silizium.
So replace this rectifier with si-diodes and use the selenium for the next toobscreamer/distortion+ variation.

but keep this secret..... bootweakers could steal this idea for the selenium-overdrive. :wink:

analogguru