adding voltages ?

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
jonfoote
Information

Post by jonfoote »

hi,

ive built this lfo http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.co ... %20LFO.gif

i get between 0 - 5 volts at the output which i use to turn an led on and off.

any ideas how could i change this so i get 2 - 5 volts on the output?

thanks

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Are you sure that's what you want to do? If you're driving an LED the LED will limit the voltage to it's forward voltage drop, for example 1.5V for an "average" red LED.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

jonfoote
Information

Post by jonfoote »

thanks for the reply, probably could have explained myself a bit better.

basically i want to stop the led turning completely off. so a square wave output from the lfo would go from full brightness to dim light.

thanks

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Okay, that makes sense.

One thing you could do would be to add a voltage divider bias to the LED (much like voltage divider bias for a transistor base) to have it always biased on at the voltage of your choosing.

If your LFO was connected straight to this bias point, it would still drive the LED to 0 and +5V, unless you added something between the op-amp and the divider.

If you put a resistor between, the op-amp's output will add to and subtract from the bias voltage, which makes things a little more complicated.
However, if you instead used a diode between them (anode to op-amp, cathode to divider), your divider would determine the low voltage, but the op-amp would then determine the high voltage, minus one diode drop.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

jonfoote
Information

Post by jonfoote »

thanks for that, took me about 10 read-throughs but i get you now.