Where do I put clipping diodes in a circuit?

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

I'm building the 2 microamp board at tonepad, and i want to turn microamp 1 into a distortion by adding clipping diodes, then use #2 as a switchable boost on the output. i have a question about diode placement, though.

here is the tonepad layout:
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=51

So, i just want to make sure that i am placing them correctly. if i read the schem right, then i would need to place opposing diodes to ground from the positive side of the 15uF electro on the output. is this correct? i'm operating on the assumption that the diodes need to be before the cap so that the cap can block dc to the output. someone with more knowledge, is this correct? :oops:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

If you are stringing back to back diodes directly off the op amp output then they must connect to vb (half rail voltage). If you connect them after the 15uf capacitor, then they can go to ground. Either method will work okay for you.
cheers
bajaman

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

If you're placing clipping diodes at the output of an opamp, you typically need some kind of impedance between the output of the opamp and the diodes to keep the current out of the opamp from banging the opamp into current limiting all the time. This is why all of the opamp-plus-diodes-to-ground pedals you see have something like a 10K between the opamp and the diodes.

Baja is right about the voltages. If you have them after the opamp, you either need to return them to Vref if they are DC coupled, or separated by a capacitor to block the DC level if they go to ground. It's generally simpler to use a big electro cap for blocking and then take them to ground. Otherwise your Vref needs to be able to handle the extra diode current without any movement. The movement would be routed back to your noninverting input as an unexpected form of feedback, possibly giving you oscillation or other unwanted and unexpected effects.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Thanks RG for mentioning the series resistor and the ground decoupling capacitor :wink:
bajaman

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Okay, I'm a little confused. I was operating under the assumption (apparently a faulty one) that the cap generally comes after the diodes, so you guys are saying i either need to place some sort of resistance between the opamp and the diodes, or move the diodes to after the capacitor, correct? I'm doing the diodes to ground, so i just need to move them to the other side of the 15uF from where i originally was going to, correct?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I'm doing the diodes to ground, so i just need to move them to the other side of the 15uF from where i originally was going to, correct?
Correct - BUT - do as RG suggests and put some series resistance before the diodes - try a 10k trim pot and adjust to taste.
cheers
bajaman

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

hmm, i had inferred from his post that the series resistance wasn't necessary if the diodes were to ground and came after the cap. is that not right? not questioning, just trying to learn

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

hmm, i had inferred from his post that the series resistance wasn't necessary if the diodes were to ground and came after the cap. is that not right?
No, you still need some series resistance before or after the output capacitor
cheers
bajaman

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

bajaman wrote:
hmm, i had inferred from his post that the series resistance wasn't necessary if the diodes were to ground and came after the cap. is that not right?
No, you still need some series resistance before or after the output capacitor
cheers
bajaman
not necessarily....if the capacitor is small enough to have a reactance of at least 1k at 20kHz.... but I think it will sound horrable then.... :lol:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

alright then, when i get home i will add a 10k after the diodes, which i will add after the cap. i'll reoprt my results, but it should be almost exactly like a dist+ into a microamp, correct?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

i will add a 10k after the diodes
NO NO NO - BEFORE the diodes and after the capacitor :wink: 8)
bajaman