Wah sounds octave like and dull

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

Hey all,
I just made a clone of the Clyde McCoy and incorporated the Foxrox buffer
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4235&hilit=foxrox

Everything works but for some reason, when I have the wah heel back (bass side) the notes sound like there is a slight octave and the higher strings are octave-like and flat sounding.
I bypassed the buffer and it still does it so it has to be something in the wah side of the circuit. I am using a Red Fasel inductor and had BC109Bs in there at 330 HFEs but switched them out to 5089s at 470 hfes to see if that made a difference and it didn't. Everything else is a standard Clyde McCoy and I have checked and rechecked everything.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

diggum12
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by diggum12 »

You've got something wrong with the bias. No worries, it's just a simple resistor swap. My advice: put a 1k trimpot in the Emittor resistor of Q1. It's prolly supposed to be a 470 or 510, something like that...
"Now we cheer if someone get's a tweed champ working. I feel like the future was here and we traded it away for trinkets." -diagrammatiks

ayayay! on the other site

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

diggum12 wrote:You've got something wrong with the bias. No worries, it's just a simple resistor swap. My advice: put a 1k trimpot in the Emittor resistor of Q1. It's prolly supposed to be a 470 or 510, something like that...
Thanks.
I tried that and it did clear up around 1k
I might try a really hot HFE transistor

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

That's weird. You should be able to have a lower value in there. I usually have mine around 300 ohms. DougH has set his as low as 100 ohms IIRC. Lower values sound nice and growly, IMO, good amount of bass and "honk".

How does it sound without the buffer?

BTW, love your work. I rec' StompUnderFoot on UG when I can. :D

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

azrael wrote:That's weird. You should be able to have a lower value in there. I usually have mine around 300 ohms. DougH has set his as low as 100 ohms IIRC. Lower values sound nice and growly, IMO, good amount of bass and "honk".

BTW, love your work. I rec' StompUnderFoot on UG when I can. :D
I tried it both ways.
It's weird because a buddy of mine has had the same results. I bypassed the buffer and it's the same.
I am going to make another and see if it's just something I just can't find in the circuit.

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Is there any power filtering going on in the pedal? Just like 100uF cap. If not, maybe try adding it.

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

azrael wrote:Is there any power filtering going on in the pedal? Just like 100uF cap. If not, maybe try adding it.
I did that also.

diggum12
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by diggum12 »

azrael wrote:That's weird. You should be able to have a lower value in there. I usually have mine around 300 ohms. DougH has set his as low as 100 ohms IIRC. Lower values sound nice and growly, IMO, good amount of bass and "honk".

Agreed. I'd think your useable range would be between 300 - 550 ohms. There's some other things going on. Maybe you should put the buffer back in. IMHO (and I've done several) removing the buffer can make things wacky sometimes on a wah. I don't remove them anymore, just true bypass.

Dunno man, I wish I was more helpful for you.
"Now we cheer if someone get's a tweed champ working. I feel like the future was here and we traded it away for trinkets." -diagrammatiks

ayayay! on the other site

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Have you tried a different inductor at all?