Fuzz Factory click click click

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
farfisavox
Information

Post by farfisavox »

Hi there, I'm new here.

I have just completed my first semi-successful non-kit build. I was using the strip board layout of this effect from the boutique effects section of this forum.

The build is mostly successful in that it fuzzes, oh man how it fuzzes! and the controls all seem to work. But for some reason when Stab is at the lowest position (ie. the voltage is not sagged) I get a traditional single coil like buzz with humbuckers, an unbareable buzz with single coils and as I begin to turn up the Stab knob I get a constant bassy clicking sound that I seem to be able to make faster/slower with Stab and Gain controls.

I can't seem to find any problems in the circuitry (although I am very open to suggestions), however I did build this into a plastic case. Could that be a problem?
Also I have added switchable caps in the input/output although I can't see how this can be a problem and they seem to work fine.
I have also added a switchable feedback loop (circuit board input connected to output) which seems to also work fine.

Where do you guys think I might be going wrong?

Thanks,

Nathan

kaycee
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kaycee »

Battery or power supply?

farfisavox
Information

Post by farfisavox »

The hum is less with battery, more with power supply. The clicking appears throughout though.

kaycee
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kaycee »

Well, you won't get any 'clock' noise from the parts in one of these :lol: My hunch would be the electro caps, check orientation and soldering.

farfisavox
Information

Post by farfisavox »

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I seem to have lowered the amount of clicking noise by placing the battery in the centre of the box. (No idea how it helped).

I've also noticed that the squeels that are usually associated with this pedal are much lower pitched on my build. I don't know if that helps the diagnosis?

Thanks,

Nathan

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

That ticking sound you were getting sounds to me like something called "Motorboating",it is usually caused by improperly bypassed supply rails,an electrolytic capacitor across the battery,say a value of 220uF should get rid of the ticking altogether..... :)

Also,make sure you use a bit of single cored sheilded audio wire for the input connections,and connect the shield to ground at one end only.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.