3PDT Switch won't switch effect off

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Overtureincminor
Information

Post by Overtureincminor »

Hi guys, I just made my second pedal using materials from small bear electronics and a PCB board from GGG (it was a big muff pi). The switch was the basic "Switch - Taiwan Blue 3PDT." The layout was GGG's.

Problem: The switch when engaged DOES turn off the effect, but as soon as I lift my foot, it will turn back on. The only way to keep the effect off is to keep the button pressed down.

Does this mean I got a bad switch or is it something else? Thanks.

Edit: Okay, it's NOT a regular switch. It is a MOMENTARY switch. Is there a way to modify this to a regular or do I just have to replace it :(.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Overtureincminor wrote:Hi guys, I just made my second pedal using materials from small bear electronics and a PCB board from GGG (it was a big muff pi). The switch was the basic "Switch - Taiwan Blue 3PDT." The layout was GGG's.

Problem: The switch when engaged DOES turn off the effect, but as soon as I lift my foot, it will turn back on. The only way to keep the effect off is to keep the button pressed down.

Does this mean I got a bad switch or is it something else? Thanks.
There are three possibilities:

1. The switch is faulty.
2. You wired the switch up wrongly or have a short.
3. You overheated the switch when you soldered it and damaged it.

Carefully examine your wiring. Get a multimeter or a continuity tester and check that the switch ways actually operate. If you're sure that you've wired it correctly, and didn't overheat it, let the supplier know that you've been sent a faulty switch.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"