Ruby Amp Build Trouble

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
SamJessop
Information

Post by SamJessop »

Hey all,

I'm new here. decided to get into the whole pedal building thing but before my first pedal build I got told the Ruby amp was a simple one to get into soldering. After a few hours of soldering I finally got it all soldered and plugged in the battery only to get a loud horn type sound. The volume turns it up and down all be it the wrong way around (I have got the 1 and 3 around the wrong way)

Anyone know what could of gone wrong? As far as I can tell everything looks soldered correctly and in the correct way.

I am using this vero plan:

And here is what I have:

Thanks all.
Sam

bassist001
Information
my favorite amplifier: Swart AST
Completed builds: SHO

Post by bassist001 »

did you double check all you solder joints and make sure theres not too much solder thats connecting other things together? and you could check that all the cuts you make in the strips on your board (a.k.a. the little red marks) make sure there not still making a connecting. I thing the best thing is to start out by visually checking it and making sure everything looks right and the correct chip orientation.

rubber_sled
Information

Post by rubber_sled »

I have the same issue. Was wondering if you have found out the cause.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

I may be off on this, but it appears that the input is going to the drain of the MPF102
instead of the gate. I would suggest rotating the MPF102.

(Of course I'm assuming a top down view with the components on top and the traces
on the bottom of the board.)
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson