Madbean Poindexter help

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Msmilor1
Information

Post by Msmilor1 »

I etched a pcb and did the Madbean Poindexter. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/P ... dexter.pdf. I have 1 nagging issue I cannot seen to figure out. When I engage the switch, the led lights up fine but no signal is passed. Ive combed over it and pretty sure there are no bridged solder joints. from the 9v input to r25 on the board I get a reading on the DMM like 9.4v. The next trace r25 goes to and so on has zero voltage the rest of the way through. also the 100 ohm resistor gets extremely hot. I swapped it out and no luck. It almost burns your finger. The LED works fine but comes off the switch and not the board. Dunno what is causing this resistor to get so hot and no signal to pass. All components are correct. I triple checked that along with the transistors and diodes and I get nothing all the way around after r25. Anyone have a suggestion that may help? This issue is on the etched layout and not the PCB you can buy.Thanks

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Put a jumper in place of R25. Do you get 9v then? If so, you are done. If not, you probably have a solder or trace bridge somewhere. Sometimes they can be very very small, so I suggest a magnifying glass for inspection. That's a tool I use pretty often.

Don't worry about omitting R25. Also, it's normal for it to get warm.

Msmilor1
Information

Post by Msmilor1 »

Thanks Madbean. Ill get right on that tonight and let you know. Ive went through it with a magnifying glass but Im sure it something like a bridged joint and I just didnt see it. Not the 1st time Ive done that if it is. Really dig the layouts you provide Madbean and I really appreciate you doing that for us diy folks. Ive built a few of your layouts and this is the only one I needed to actually debug and Im 100% certain its just human error.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

:D :D

Msmilor1
Information

Post by Msmilor1 »

Thanks Madbean. You were right on the money. It was actually a trace bridge and not a solder bridge. !0 min worth of debugging and it sounds like a million bucks now. one again another successful Madbean build. Great job and thanks