Dead Box of Rock

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
wesc
Information

Post by wesc »

I just build a Box of Rock with the Sho side and BOR side. The Sho side works and is in series after the BOR. I have quadruple checked the in out wires to the vero circuit and they are solid. I accidently touched part of the circuit while testing it out and i got some radio noise and I noticed the volume and gain knobs works and make the noise louder. I also get the usual crackle from the gain knob when I was touching the right under q2. (I am terrible at debugging if you cant tell). If I'm not touching anything, I get no sound. I have gone throught the circuit with the vero layout and the schematic about 3 or 4 times and fixed a few errors i had at first (trace cuts in the wrong spot) and now everything looks fine. I will post the vero layout I used once im at a computer. It was one I found on this forum, and the schematic I used sayd Rox of Bock on it. I noticed one problem on the vero that differs from the schem. D1 is going to the ground after the first resistor instead of before it on the 9v input. If tried both ways, and now have it as the schematic shows. I am stumped. All of the vol, tone, gain wires are correct as well. Anyone have any ideas? My multimeter broke, so I cant use that to check anything. I could probably make a simple continuity tester. I am nearly positive I put the electros in correctly, but there are no polarity marking other than the positive lead being longer which is now cut.

wesc
Information

Post by wesc »

Forgot to mention, i accidently forgot to order some 1n5817 diodes for D1, so I used 1n4148 for both d1 and d2. Would this matter?

wesc
Information

Post by wesc »

wesc
Information

Post by wesc »

Anyone?

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

Maybe a transistors problem. I'm used to fight with bs170s, and the only solution I've find is to use sockets instead all of them. Once you finish aaall solderings, then, U put the bss in their place.
Best regards!!

wesc
Information

Post by wesc »

I've built about 7 or 8 super hard on with various mods, and I've never had any problems. Maybe I'll try using sockets.

wesc
Information

Post by wesc »

I think i am just terrible with vero boards. I make another SHO on a vero and it also didnt work after hours of examining it. Then I made one on good ol perfboard and, whammy, it works like a dream. Anyone know of a good perf layout for the BoR instead of a vero? I am thinking I may just buy a BSIABII pcb and build that in there instead of a BoR. I think I need to invest in a better soldering iron with variable temp instead of using a 35w and a 25w from radio shack.