GE128s not working

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
curt mitchell
Information

Post by curt mitchell »

Hope I'm in the right forum, and not re-re-re submitting a beaten issue. I'm new to this and this forum. That said:

I have a breadboarded FF, I bought some AC128 matched transistors, Q1 Hfe83 Q2 Hfe 122 ( I'm close to understanding the meaning of these numbers)

And the machine wont work.

Now it will run with 3904s, but not the Germanium. I understand that the 3904 is an NPN, and the Germanium are PNP, so I turned the things around, thinking that might get it, no luck.

I used the GEofex schem to build the thing, it's the 2nd thing I've tried, I put together a boost pedal first. It worked, made alot of RF racket.

I have 2 components that are not to spec, the 1K variable is 5K, and the 8.2K is a 10K, given a choice between the 330 or 470, I have in it a 470.

These were parts I was able to procure from the radio shack where I live. Any help and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS!

curt mitchell
Information

Post by curt mitchell »

I pulled it apart, rebuilt it using the schem for PNP and it's working.

The odd thing, it only works when I reversed the polarity of the batt.

I know this is a beaten subject, but I'm just starting. The search of the forum can't quite dial in what I'm looking for.

I took a 101 electronics class, didn't get a whole lot out of it, still going a bit over my head.

Anyways, it works.

IS there a dedicated Fuzz Face forum I should be in?

THanks