Ground loop details

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
jerrymcdougal
Information

Post by jerrymcdougal »

I've recently built a Quadcaster (4x valvecaster by Mike Akron) and a Toecutter (by Apocalypse Audio). Both have some pretty gnarly hiss issues, which got me thinking about how I grounded them. Is "tree" grounding the same as star grounding? What I mean by that is not every component is grounded to a single spot, but there is only one path that each component can take to get to ground. Is that still OK?

I must add, I used "tree" grounding, but didn't take into consideration the metal case. Would I be right in thinking that if my jacks are grounded to the case, and then I have a jumper from the sleeve of each jack that that makes ground loop, and could be causing my hiss issues? I'm thinking I may have this same issue with the pots as well. I built a single valvecaster in a plastic box and didn't have the issue.

if this is indeed the problem would you recommend isolating the jacks from the case or removing the jumper between sleeves?

Thanks!

jerrymcdougal
Information

Post by jerrymcdougal »

bump