I think I'm going crazy. HELP!!!

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Silicon FF with tone control, Proco RAT, MXR Dist+, BMP, Phat Pig (custom 6 controls fuzz pedal)

Post by TV-Set »

DrNomis wrote:
bato001 wrote:I am a little late to the party on this one, but I have to put in my 2 cents LOL. My first PCB design was for a Modern Swollen Pickle clone and I did the same as you TV. I routed shit all around the outside with long traces running parallel and the hiss was very distinct and made the pedal unusable at high volumes. I then read the article attached below and re-did the layout accordingly and the the new PCB was quiet as a mouse even with my amp cranked to club levels.

Awesome idea with the LED by the way. LOVE IT.

Cheers, I'm a bit rusty when it comes to PCB design so I downloaded a copy of the pdf so I can have a good read of it....... :thumbsup
+1
Now I got something good to read, thx bato!
PS: thx to u guys I feel encouraged again and not frustrated :hug:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

TV-Set wrote:
DrNomis wrote:
bato001 wrote:I am a little late to the party on this one, but I have to put in my 2 cents LOL. My first PCB design was for a Modern Swollen Pickle clone and I did the same as you TV. I routed shit all around the outside with long traces running parallel and the hiss was very distinct and made the pedal unusable at high volumes. I then read the article attached below and re-did the layout accordingly and the the new PCB was quiet as a mouse even with my amp cranked to club levels.

Cheers, I'm a bit rusty when it comes to PCB design so I downloaded a copy of the pdf so I can have a good read of it....... :thumbsup
+1

That's the spirit.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

DrNomis wrote:
TV-Set wrote:
DrNomis wrote:

+1

That's the spirit.... :thumbsup
You always have something cookin TV, I think I learn more from you than you do from me. :thumbsup
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

ggedamed wrote:The FUZZ lug 1 is not grounded because that's how I interpreted your layout, I only saw two FUZZ lugs.[...]
Oh, by now you must've guessed I've mixed TOUCH and FUZZ in my reply :oops: .
Anyway, both discrepancies (FUZZ and BIAS) can be easily repaired with small jumpers.
It looks like an silicon Fuzz-Face married with a Big Muff tone stack and a booster. I was pretty close. Good exercise.
Please, make a demo of it - soundclip, youtube, whatever. And don't worry about the musical side, I love watching effects demos, regardless of the demoer guitaristical abilities.

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Silicon FF with tone control, Proco RAT, MXR Dist+, BMP, Phat Pig (custom 6 controls fuzz pedal)

Post by TV-Set »

ggedamed wrote:
ggedamed wrote:The FUZZ lug 1 is not grounded because that's how I interpreted your layout, I only saw two FUZZ lugs.[...]
Oh, by now you must've guessed I've mixed TOUCH and FUZZ in my reply :oops: .
Anyway, both discrepancies (FUZZ and BIAS) can be easily repaired with small jumpers.
It looks like an silicon Fuzz-Face married with a Big Muff tone stack and a booster. I was pretty close. Good exercise.
Please, make a demo of it - soundclip, youtube, whatever. And don't worry about the musical side, I love watching effects demos, regardless of the demoer guitaristical abilities.
Well, 1st - u kinda mixed touch and fuzz previously, yes. The problem still remains that the fuzz pot has lug 1 to ground in my schematic, I didn't put it in my layout cuz I got it wired to ground offboard, so that's not a problem :D
2nd - it is a ff + bmp output recovery stage and tonestack with mids control + bias + variable resistance in the input for transparency (touch) :thumbsup
3rd - I will make a demo both with a guitar and with a bass ;) my friend I'm making the pedal for doesn't enjoy muff-like uber saturated fuzz, so I'm using moderate gain Si transistors, sounds killer with bass, not so sweet with guitar (imho). With Q1 and Q2 hfe around 500 or higher it turns the pedal into a synth (both guitar and bass) at max fuzz settings, and that's the kind of sound that I really like... but I guess the soon to come demo (if I finally manage to build this sucker!!!) is gonna speak for itself ;)

Just one question though that I'd like to ask u guys again: all that GND around the traces, will it not interfere with the signal? I know I'm being paranoid, but I got reasons to be scared of this goddamn ciruit :mrgreen:

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

TV-Set wrote: Just one question though that I'd like to ask u guys again: all that GND around the traces, will it not interfere with the signal? I know I'm being paranoid, but I got reasons to be scared of this goddamn ciruit :mrgreen:
Nope. It is common to leave large areas of copper on a board, tied to ground, in order to use less etchant and speed up etching.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

thx bato.

Ok, here's the pcb layout I'm preparing for the printing. It is almost the exact copy of the one submitted by ggedamed traced in photoshop :oops: , I only added a 390 ohm resistor in series with the 9V+, helps to reduce noise from cheap power supplies I believe. I guess it's all done and ready, isn't it? I'm gonna check it one more time tomorrow morning before printing it out and will keep u guys posted. Let's see where it takes us (and I say us cuz we're in this thing together :D )

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

TV-Set wrote: Let's see where it takes us (and I say us cuz we're in this thing together :D )
Yeppers :thumbsup

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

TV-Set wrote:thx bato.

Ok, here's the pcb layout I'm preparing for the printing. It is almost the exact copy of the one submitted by ggedamed traced in photoshop :oops: , I only added a 390 ohm resistor in series with the 9V+, helps to reduce noise from cheap power supplies I believe. I guess it's all done and ready, isn't it? I'm gonna check it one more time tomorrow morning before printing it out and will keep u guys posted. Let's see where it takes us (and I say us cuz we're in this thing together :D )

That large black area on the circuit board is what's called a "Ground Plane" in electronics, it's a technique that's used alot in the design of audio and radio frequency printed-circuit boards.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

DrNomis wrote: That large black area on the circuit board is what's called a "Ground Plane" in electronics, it's a technique that's used alot in the design of audio and radio frequency printed-circuit boards.... :thumbsup
Yeah, I read the pdf bato shared :P :P :P

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

It works! It works! :thumbsup :thumbsup

I only just finished soldering all the components in, have the pcb and pots hoocked up to a breadboard. :horsey: A few more hours and the box is ready! :applause:

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Sweeeeetttt!!!!! :applause:

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Looks like a confirmed build, so here are the Eagle files:
fuzz_tv-set_eagle.zip
(16.28 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Did you post a sample anywhere?

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

ggedamed wrote:Did you post a sample anywhere?
No, The guy I made it for is a dickwad and he never showed up after he got the pedal... I guess I'll have to breadboard that sucker to make a demo :) will get to it 1st thing in the morning ;)

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

Ok I breadboarded the beast yesterday and got down to the recording.
Here's the 1st Demo of the 'Phat Pig' Custom DF1.
Pink Foyd - Time (solo), so u can hear it in a mix

http://soundcloud.com/roman-a-smirnoff/ ... -time-solo

HH bridge pos., digital direct out + cab sim and delay
on the scale of 10:

3 Level
9 Fuzz
0 Touch
10 Bias
7 Tone
3? Mids (forgot to write it down, but pretty scooped)

PS: working on other demos. It's kind of a hard job trying to capture all the possible sounds this thing can produce... 6 knobs and they're all interac with eachother, countless combinations. Stay tuned ;)

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Really beautiful, man! And you're handy with the guitar also.
I don't care much for fuzzes, more of a metal distortion fan, but I quite like your results.
I found another demo of yours, hope it's ok to link it here too.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I just checked out the demo clips, nice sounding Fuzz, definitely lives up to it's name..... :thumbsup

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

Thank you guys! :) very sweet pedal indeed :thumbsup hehe