Unwanted Preamp Distortion

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
EricssonB
Information

Post by EricssonB »

So I'm nearly complete with the first of a few preamps that I'm building for me and my friend. Just about got this one done when I noticed that it seems to distort upon the power being applied, and then accumulate until you switch it off. My hunch is that it's in the power section.

Schematic that I came across on someone else's build:

My layout with a different power section added:

Soundcloud link if you need to hear it:

Audio clip with all pots on full. Downloads enabled in case you want the subtleties not provided by the audio stream.

Switched on at about 7 seconds. Just beyond the mid-point time warp that skips a minute you can hear how gated and distorted it gets. Not sure what that's about yet. Switched off for a bit then switched back on -- everything's okay.

Any takers?

Side note: this thing is pretty hot. May need to throttle it down a bit.

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface
Completed builds: Lots of mods to lots of pedals

Post by blackbunny »

3 things bother me in this circuit.
Firstly, the circuitry around the input seems unnecessarily complicated, and would likely result in a severely bandpassed frequency response with a prominent midrange hump.
What are you using this circuit to amplify? Single coil guitar pickups? Humbuckers? Passive bass pickups? The input could easily be redesigned to suit the source a lot better.

Secondly, I would change the power supply voltage dividing resistors from 2M2 to 100k to allow more bias current.

Thirdly, running a preamp and active tone controls - with about 15db of cut and boost available - from a 9v supply means that it will run out of headroom very easily when boosting the EQ unless you are amplifying very small input signals, such as a piezo pickup or very low output pickup. The TL07x and TL06x will latch up to the supply rail when the signal voltage swing exceeds +- 4.5v , causing serious distortion and oscillation when the tone controls are fully boosted.