Klon buffer question?!?!?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
BD2
Information

Post by BD2 »

Ok... So I've built the klon buffer (from beavis audio) and I love it! I really want to add a boost that is turned on and off via a foot switch. I'd also like to be able to control the amount of boost via pot. I want to be able to use the buffer (always on) and stomp the booster in and out without affecting the buffer. Please help due to my complete ignorance on how to accomplish this. An LED indicating whether the boost is on or off would be tremendous... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Just build a boost, such as the AMZ MOSFET boost, and put it after the buffer. Use a 3-pole footswitch to turn the boost on or off (ie, bring it in or out of circuit) and to drive your LED.

It's dead simple, but will do what you are wanting.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

BD2
Information

Post by BD2 »

Man you are a genius... However I am not at all haha. So... Im completely new at this and I'm not sure how to wire it in. Is there a drawing or schematic that I could look at? I can't seem to find one. Or either I'm a moron

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Hey, don't put yourself down. We all started at the beginning, knowing nothing.

Below is a quick diagram showing the wiring. It should be pretty straightforward, but if you need further help, just ask.
Attachments
Buffer n Boost.bmp
Buffer n Boost.bmp (1.83 MiB) Viewed 813 times
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

It would be a lot more simple to turn the buffer into a noninverting opamp boost and shunt the output to inverting input for unity gain buffer operation. Takes two resistors (one of which you might want to make a pot to vary the gain) and only one pole of a single-throw switch.
Then again, building a separate booster might be a better learning experience.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)