Do you think my Boss pedals are dead?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Nicofromfrance
Information

Post by Nicofromfrance »

Hi,

I have an issue with my two Boss pedals (CE-5 and TU-3): after having switched off and then on my Harley Benton powerplant, no pedal was working anymore. I looked at the fuse under the female plug, it is not 'broken' or blown but it didn't work when I tried to light a flashlight with, so I think it is not working anymore. If it was only a matter of changing a fuse, that wouldn't be an issue, but when I tried to power up the pedals (Digitech Digiverb, MXR Distortion 3, TC Flashback and the Boss Ce-5 and TU-3) with a universal 9V adapter, only the non-Boss pedals worked.
I looked at the guts of these two Boss with the fear of seeing what I am seeing: as for the CE-5, the area around the plug is now coloured with some white and brown color, and I don't think it is really good.

Here is what it looks like:

The TU-3 doesn't show any brown discoloration or altered color on the PCB around the power input plug, though, but it doesn't work at all, the led is not lighting on as well.
As for amperage, the total current draw of all my pedals didn't exceed the 500mA the Powerplant can deliver, at the moment of the issue.

Do you think my Boss pedals are dead? I am wondering why only the Boss pedals are affected on my pedalboard.
Thanks!

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Have you tried putting batteries in the Boss pedals ?

If they still don't work, then it's safe to assume that your pedals are 'not well' (they may not be totally dead, but something is probably fried).

I would expect any damage to be in the switching and power management stages (especially as the LEDs are not coming on). The 'sound-shaping' components are usually operating well below their maximum ratings, so should be able to withstand a voltage surge (of moderate proportions).

You should be able to find the schematics on the 'Interweb' if not on this forum, if you decide to go fault finding.

Good luck (well, I suppose ANY luck you have after that blowout will be 'good' in comparison - sorry, just the devil in me). :twisted:
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook