Ibanez Tube King

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
kenshiro86
Information

Post by kenshiro86 »

Guys, I have a problem with this pedal

the guy who gave it to me told me that he used a DC transformer, not AC (like the original :applause: ) and then the pedal will not turn on.

I checked with a multimeter that the original transformer is dead and I used one of my own but after a while 'has become hot and is also dead

the pedal has 2 cards and a small transformer right after the AC input (this seems to work, I find the output voltage on the wires 3 to v 30-40) and when I plugged my power transformer warmed much less than mine.

else, if I remove the tube the red ignition works but if I insert it no longer works ... (I tried to change it but nothing) :scratch:

What do you advise me to do?? :?:

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Moved to the Debugging thread
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

kenshiro86
Information

Post by kenshiro86 »

Sorry :oops:

kenshiro86
Information

Post by kenshiro86 »

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Step 0: Read and understand all below before starting.

Step 1:
Disconnect the wires from the internal transformer from the rest of the circuit.
Step 2:
Verify that they have some low resistance between leads 1 and 2 (but somewhat higher than the resistance when holding the multimeters leads together)
Step 3:
Verify that they have some low resistance between leads 3 and 4
Step 4.
Same thing for 4 and 5. You should get a clear resistance reading here in (I expect) a few 10's of ohms)

If 2 to 4 are true.
Connect your (working) external AC transformer again. Leave the secondary connections of the internal transformer unconnected though.
Measure between 1 and 2 again. You should have a voltage in the range of 9 to 12 volts AC again (be quick or you'll blow another transformer)
Measure between 2 and 3 again. You should have a voltage in the range of 15-20 volts AC here.
Measure between 3 and 4 (careful here!). Voltage should be anywhere between some 120 and 160 volts AC here (That's why I said careful ;) )

I expect you'll fail somewhere in the above steps which will confirm your internal transformer is dead. What to do after that is a next step.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

kenshiro86
Information

Post by kenshiro86 »

These are the results:

between 1 and 2 = 1 ohm
between 3 and 4 = 2,5 ohm
between 4 and 5 = 710 ohm :hmmm: :scratch:

so i've measured the voltages and... :

between 1 and 2 = 1,1 V
between 3 and 4 = 1,6 V
between 4 and 5 = 10.6 V :shock: :slap:

Now, I suppose the internal transformer is dead... there is a possibility to fix it? or do I have to buy a new one?

kenshiro86
Information

Post by kenshiro86 »

Dirk, what's the next step?? It's possible to try to repair the transformer??

mrcharis
Information

Post by mrcharis »

Hi there

I am reading your posts about your pedal.

Did you get it fixed, or replace the inner transformer?

I am having issues with my tube king at the moment,was wondering if is the same problem as yours?

I can turn it on, the red led lights up when you press the button. But the sound does not get effected at all, it has no distortion and none of the knobs do anything..

I have opened it up and checked the Tube, it looks ok. And I noticed that the inner transformer was buzzing, not all the time kind of on and off.

Was wondering how you figured out there was a problem with your pedal? what happened to it?

Not sure what to do to fix my pedal now.

Any advice would be great