Sho booster problems

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Mrdorbe
Information

Post by Mrdorbe »

Hey guys I hope I'm in the right thread...
I built the sho booster used a pic I found in the Internet worked like a charm!! Clean boost perfect
But when I tried to build another one it worked but the pot made scratch noises and the sound coming out was overdriven.
I used the same parts and did everything the same can anyone think of what I could do wrong the second time that could cause this problam?

By the way I tried replacing the pot and stil the same also checked it with multimeter..
Thanks

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

When pots scratch, it suggests DC where it shouldn't be.
Make sure one of the cap feeding the pot isn't shorted out by a sliver of solder or stray bit of copper track.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Isn't the control labelled "crackle OK"? I'd be more curious about why your first build didn't crackle, and also why this second one is distorted: I think the circuit probably overdrives at really very high levels, but before then you will probably also be distorting whatever stage comes next in the chain. It is a fairly clean, glassy boost most of the way up.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

davent
Information

Post by davent »

Sounds like something may have been wrong with the first one. Low settings a clean boost, high settings, kick the snot out of the first tube preamp stage, crunch. Crackle?- all's fine.

http://media.zvex.com/FLASH/SHO/

dave