Timmy Debug: No volume with gain at minimum

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
jwhk
Information

Post by jwhk »

Hey everybody! :) Long time lurker, first time poster here. . . Thanks in advance for your help! The title says it all. I just built a Timmy from Nocentelli's attached layout for a mini Timmy, and whenever I turn the gain to minimum there is no sound at all, and with the gain at maximum there is hardly overdrive. The sound is also lacking the transparency that my real Timmy had, and sounds weak for the lack of a better word. I checked the wiring, solder joints, and voltage to the pins, and those all check out fine. Any one have any suggestions?
Attachments
Pedals - Mini Timmy.bmp
Pedals - Mini Timmy.bmp (674.92 KiB) Viewed 1049 times

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

the layout is verified, so the standard advice is to carefully debug your build to identify the fault. start by checking all the cuts, jumpers and components are correctly positioned and parts soldered in properly, and if this doesn't reveal the problem, measure the voltages at all the IC pins and post them up.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

it just occurred to me that the bass and treble controls are shown wired to work as one would expect normal bass and treble controls to work, i.e. turning them up (clockwise) gives you more. this is the opposite way to how the original timmy works. so if you've turned gain, treble and bass all the way down, you won't get the flat EQ/clean sound of the OG timmy. you'll have cut serious amounts of bass and treble. just check: with the gain at zero and bass and trebleat maximum, it should be completely clean, with flat eq, and unity gain should be around one/two o'clock on the volume pot.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...