Foxrox Wah Buffer (custom build)

Frequent questions about dead or faulty pedals. Whether you repair, mod or build pedals, debugging is important. Threads about general debugging problems irrespective of the circuit involved...

Foxrox Wah Buffer (custom build)

Postby marjodp » 10 Dec 2014, 19:54

Hello,

I have built Foxrox Wah Buffer using this schematic:
Adaptador.jpg

Here is my build's layout:
foxrox wah buffer (components).png

foxrox wah buffer.png

When I first connected a battery it didn't work and instead of guitar sound there was some noise coming from a speaker. If a fuzz face was disabled there was no sound at all. After that I replaced all electrolytic caps with better ones (I thought they were faulty because of some reason). After that I connected the battery again and it worked perfectly, but after nearly 30 seconds it stopped working again. Now I think that if I'll replace those electrolytic caps it will work again, for few seconds, but I still don't know what is a reason of such behavior.

I think I have some mistake in my layout, so can anyone please look at my layout and say what's wrong with it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marjodp

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: Foxrox Wah Buffer (custom build)

Postby Intripped » 10 Dec 2014, 23:53

The layout matches the posted schematic (haven't checked the resistors' codes though)

Post some hi-res pics of your actual build if you can, both sides

For this message the author Intripped has received thanks:
marjodp (11 Dec 2014, 19:11)
Intripped
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 195 times

Re: Foxrox Wah Buffer (custom build)

Postby marjodp » 11 Dec 2014, 19:31

Intripped wrote:The layout matches the posted schematic (haven't checked the resistors' codes though)

Intripped wrote:The layout matches the posted schematic (haven't checked the resistors' codes though)

Thanks for help.

Today I soldered new caps again and at first power on it worked again (not for 30 seconds, but way much longer). After few hours I powered on it again and there was just the same noise in the speaker (instead of guitar sound). I tried to trace the audio signal using an audio probe and I discovered that there was noise or no signal at all on the wah buffer's input. After that I disconnected my guitar from a wah-wah pedal, connected it directly to the wah buffer and it worked. After that I connected my guitar to the wah pedal and the wah pedal's output to the wah buffer's output and it worked too. So for now the problem is solved and it was in my wah pedal's input. I never had such problem earlier with the wah pedal, so I couldn't imagine that kind of problem.

I'm sorry for opening the topic for such a little problem and for not using the audio probe before posting.
marjodp

Have thanks: 5 times

Return to Debugging