How do I fix a hum problem?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
travsbluz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by travsbluz »

I've built ROG Umble pedal and it has knocked a few other Dirt boxes off my board. My only problem is it gets what I would call excessive hum. Is there any way to eliminate or tame it down some?

I did do a search and I found some info about using a 100 ohm resistor followed by a 100uf Electro to ground at the start of the +9v in?? Would something like that work? If so where can a learn a bit more about this type of thing?

To let you know I followed the Schematic and perfboard layout on ROG website for it.

Let me know if any pics of the build are needed as well, I can have them in a few days?

Thanks for your time and any help,
Travis

Paul Marossy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Paul Marossy »

It may be that you have hum getting into your system elsewhere and any high gain pedal will pick it up and amplify it a lot. It's happened to me many times.

Once I had a patch cord running too close to a wall wart, and you couldn't hear any hum until you switched on a high gain distortion pedal. When I re-routed that patch cord, 90% of the problem went away.
_/\_/\_PJM_/\_/\_

http://www.diyguitarist.net

travsbluz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by travsbluz »

I will look into that. I'll run the pedal alone and just with the battery tonight and see if that clears anything up.

Trav