Having Trouble Using A Breaboard

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
PedalPlayer
Information

Post by PedalPlayer »

Hi,
Recentely, I got my first breadboard (a Beavis Board), and I've started trying to build some simple pedal designs (a Electro Harmonix booster and a fuzz face). I've been using the beavis board layouts from the websites. My problem is that I am getting no sound or a very reduced sound. The booster is much quieter then the normal signal, so I know thats wrong lol. The other wierd thing is I got the booster to work one or two times, but then it wouldn't work later on with the exact same set up. I've checked to make sure the transistors are all set up correctely. I've also checked the troubleshooting tips that come with the beavis board. Does anyone have any ideas of what it got be? I could also post a youtube video showing whats going if that could maybe help figure out whats going on. Any help would be greately appreciated!
Thanks

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

PedalPlayer wrote:Hi,
Recentely, I got my first breadboard (a Beavis Board), and I've started trying to build some simple pedal designs (a Electro Harmonix booster and a fuzz face). I've been using the beavis board layouts from the websites. My problem is that I am getting no sound or a very reduced sound. The booster is much quieter then the normal signal, so I know thats wrong lol. The other wierd thing is I got the booster to work one or two times, but then it wouldn't work later on with the exact same set up. I've checked to make sure the transistors are all set up correctely. I've also checked the troubleshooting tips that come with the beavis board. Does anyone have any ideas of what it got be? I could also post a youtube video showing whats going if that could maybe help figure out whats going on. Any help would be greately appreciated!
Thanks
This very same thing has happened too me. One time it was a bad board the other time it was a bad guitar cable I was using. Check all your cables and connections, if they are good then it might be the board. I got my new board from Small Bear and it has been great.

PedalPlayer
Information

Post by PedalPlayer »

Ok, I think I figured out what the problem was. I was only getting .02 volts of power to the breadboard instead of the 9 volts it needed. I opened up the beavis board and used a multi meter to check for power. At the point where the power enters, I have 9 volts so I know its working there. However from there the power goes up to the dying battery simulator thats in the beavis board.
At the input of that pot there is still 9 volts, but when it comes out of the pot, it is .02 volts. I have checked to make sure that the knob is turned so that battery power is still on full, but there is still only .02 volts of power. Does anyone have any idea of what is causing this? Has the wire become unsoldered or is something shorting out? Or is it possible that the signal would be going through the dying battery simulator even when it was turned off? Also, does anyone know if any ways I could fix this. I'm pretty new to soldering, but I guess I know the basics for if something might need to be resoldered. Thanks in advance.