Output jack problem...

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
mojoh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojoh »

ive pulling my hair out wondering why my once working build doest work after resambling after painting hte enclosure...and after checking all my wiring/multimeter etc...ive isolated the problem down to the output jack.

it seems to be letting signal through only when the cable is inserted into the jack halfway (with the tip touching the jack parts) but when you click the plug into the jack fully where the indent of the plug sits in the nook in the jack...i get squat diddly doo.

ive tried bending the output jack so it makes a tighter conenctiong but still nada.

halp?
its a neutrik jack...i havent had any problems like this with switchcraft jacks.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

any chance you've rotated the jack so that when it is sprung 'out (as in, the plug goes in, bending the tip-pin slightly out) the tip is shorting to the chassis?
simple test being multimeter between tip and chassis when a plug is inserted. should not be a short :D
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

mojoh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojoh »

^ that was what it was doing before i checked it...i put some electric tape underneath it.
another problem is that i had drilled the hole for the jack too big...so had to put a washer on the inside and outside to make contact.

after doing those 2 things it still happenning.
ill have to double check again when i get home from work with a multimeter RE shorting to ground.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I've come across something like this once,for me,it turned out that when I tightened the nut to fasten the socket to the case,it inadvertently caused the tip connection to short against the sleve connection on the socket itself,try replacing the socket..... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.