Pedal that drains batteries?

Frequent questions about dead or faulty pedals. Whether you repair, mod or build pedals, debugging is important. Threads about general debugging problems irrespective of the circuit involved...

Pedal that drains batteries?

Postby pfmorton » 08 May 2010, 18:34

I built a Klon clone and everything is great except that it drains the battery when I leave it. The LED turns on even when there is no plug in the input or output jacks. Any ideas?
pfmorton

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Pedal that drains batteries?

Postby Scruffie » 08 May 2010, 19:12

I've had bad battery clips cause this, especially if the casing is squeezing the battery clip, try it without the back on and see if that helps, otherwise could be something shorting or a miswired jack somewhere.
Scruffie
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 138 times

Postby mictester » 08 May 2010, 19:30

pfmorton wrote:I built a Klon clone and everything is great except that it drains the battery when I leave it. The LED turns on even when there is no plug in the input or output jacks. Any ideas?

Check your wiring around the jacks. Also check that the right wires leave the board to the right places. It's almost certain to be a wiring error (I'e connected the battery negative to the sleeve terminal, and the ring to board ground - the effect works fine (as long as the battery lasts), but never gets switched off!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 790 times

Postby pfmorton » 09 May 2010, 22:30

mictester wrote:
pfmorton wrote:I built a Klon clone and everything is great except that it drains the battery when I leave it. The LED turns on even when there is no plug in the input or output jacks. Any ideas?

Check your wiring around the jacks. Also check that the right wires leave the board to the right places. It's almost certain to be a wiring error (I'e connected the battery negative to the sleeve terminal, and the ring to board ground - the effect works fine (as long as the battery lasts), but never gets switched off!

I fixed it! It was exactly as you said. I had the negative wire from the battery clip soldered to the wrong terminal on the stereo input jack. I moved it to the ring (I had it on the tip) and all is well! Thanks!
pfmorton

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Debugging