Pedal that drains batteries?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
pfmorton
Information

Post by pfmorton »

I built a Klon clone and everything is great except that it drains the battery when I leave it. The LED turns on even when there is no plug in the input or output jacks. Any ideas?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

I've had bad battery clips cause this, especially if the casing is squeezing the battery clip, try it without the back on and see if that helps, otherwise could be something shorting or a miswired jack somewhere.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

pfmorton wrote:I built a Klon clone and everything is great except that it drains the battery when I leave it. The LED turns on even when there is no plug in the input or output jacks. Any ideas?
Check your wiring around the jacks. Also check that the right wires leave the board to the right places. It's almost certain to be a wiring error (I'e connected the battery negative to the sleeve terminal, and the ring to board ground - the effect works fine (as long as the battery lasts), but never gets switched off!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

pfmorton
Information

Post by pfmorton »

mictester wrote:
pfmorton wrote:I built a Klon clone and everything is great except that it drains the battery when I leave it. The LED turns on even when there is no plug in the input or output jacks. Any ideas?
Check your wiring around the jacks. Also check that the right wires leave the board to the right places. It's almost certain to be a wiring error (I'e connected the battery negative to the sleeve terminal, and the ring to board ground - the effect works fine (as long as the battery lasts), but never gets switched off!
I fixed it! It was exactly as you said. I had the negative wire from the battery clip soldered to the wrong terminal on the stereo input jack. I moved it to the ring (I had it on the tip) and all is well! Thanks!