Klon Clone Issues

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
njed
Information

Post by njed »

Hi! I am new to this site. Just getting back into building electronics. I just built a Klon clone. I bought the PCB from Build Your Own Tone-I believe he goes by the name Ming the merciless on sites. Anyway, After gathering all the parts and building the unit, I have a couple of troubleshooting issues. I followed the parts list and wiring on his site-which I believe is from the Sagittarian Charger. The only thing I did differently, is I used A 3pdt switch instead of the Carlinmg DPDT. He stated that it could be used. The pedal seems to work , but the LED does not and the switch does not either. The unit is always on when plugged in. I believe it is the wiring of the switch. As stated on his site, I could substitute the 3pdt for the Dpdt and just not use the middle lugs. After a little research this does not seem to be the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks ED

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

are you sure that you have not wired the switch incorrectly :?:
pictures always help us with debugging issues :wink: - if we can see what you have done we may be able to spot the mistake :)
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

njed
Information

Post by njed »

Hi! Thanks for the response. I am uploading a couple of pics.
Attachments
013.JPG
013.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1121 times
012.JPG
012.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 1121 times

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Those are very blurry pictures ( best to use the macro function on your digital camera, for good close up images :wink: ), but I can see the problem straight away :)
You have connected the switch 90 degrees out of phase with the components :!:
Simply rotate the switch by 90 degrees either direction and re-attach the components and wires to the new pins.
I hope this makes sense to you :wink:
The switch contacts for each pole (3 pole switch) are like this:
I I I

NOT
_ _ _

as you have them wired :wink:
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

GBlekas
Information

Post by GBlekas »

I have no horse in the race but the BYOKC. Build your own Klon build your own tone and all the other key words used by this guy do not make up for the fact that the pedal won't sound right for the simple fact that he uses the wrong value components all over the place in that circuit.

I built one only to find it very mid rangy in it's tone so o went through part by part and found the problem. Trouble was it was more of a PIA to correct than it was worth.

I threw mine in the garbage can. I kid you not!

I suggest avoiding this kit

Here is what the inside looks like. I took the pic directly from the web page/
In my opinion this is a wiring nightmare....
DSCF1503_small.jpg
Now here is a build using the Madbean board, which is actually correct and thus sounds right
!cid__1211111342a_0001_0001_0001_0001_0001_0001.jpg